Mechanical Engineering in Karlsruhe

Mechanical Engineering in Karlsruhe
{Carl Benz School of Engineering Represented by MERIT INDIA}

Application for B.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering) at CBS – for August 2014 Intake

Applicants for the B.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering) for the August 2014 intake can start submitting their applications.

To enjoy the advantages of the early application and admission policy, applicants for the undergraduate mechanical engineering program have to make sure that their applications arrive before  15th April 2014. The general deadline for application is the 15th June 2014.

The Carl Benz School of Engineering looks forward to welcoming applicants from all over the world.

The application forms for the 2014 Bachelor of Science program in Mechanical Engineering can be downloaded from the website of the school or may be obtained on request from the Counsellor.

FAQs on Carl Benz School of Engineering

What is Carl Benz School?

Carl Benz School is an independent body that offers students the opportunity to study Mechanical Engineering entirely in English, and upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Science program, students are awarded a B.Sc. degree from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT).

For the duration of their studies, Carl Benz School students have access to the facilities and services in KIT. In addition, they attend compact classes consisting of not more than 40 students that are offered by the university lecturers of KIT. Furthermore, Carl Benz School students enjoy constant guidance and counselling, various field trips and a cross-linked community here in the heart of the Karlsruhe city.

What type of student fits in at Carl Benz School?

  • The most fundamental requirement is the strong interest in studying and understanding machines. It is also good to be open minded, determined to excel in one’s studies and understand that university studies require self-discipline and hard work. An interest in German and the culture would enrich one’s experiences here.
  • The community is international and cross-linked – It is not only about studying but also the building of friendships and life-long connections.
  • Carl Benz School students come from the following countries: Austria, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, China, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Georgia, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA and Venezuela

What are the general admission requirements?

  1. High school education at a level equivalent to the German ‘Abitur’
    (German High School Diploma), for example A-levels, International Baccalaureate.
  2. Two Positive letters of recommendation from high school teachers.
  3. Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL/ IELTS/ TOEIC)
    (For more details go to “LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS” in FAQ.)
  • In some countries, high school ends after the 11th, 12th or 13th year. As long as there is an official examination proof that the high school education of the specific country has been successfully completed, applicants are eligible to apply.
  • In general, a GPA of at least 3.5 is expected.
  •  Transcripts with good Math and Physics grades, positive letters of recommendation, a strong interest in studying engineering and motivation to excel in one’s studies would increase one’s chances of being admitted to the program.
  • Please do not just send an email with your transcripts and ask if you are eligible for application. Only complete applications with application form and accompanying documents will be processed.
  • The list of application documents required are clearly listed under “APPLICATION: WHAT DO I HAVE TO SEND TO CARL BENZ SCHOOL” in FAQ

What is the curriculum like?

The three-year (six-semester) Bachelor of Science program offers students a well-balanced theory-and practical-based curriculum.

The program comprises lectures, tutorials and lab courses, with lecturers and tutors coming from different institutes in KIT  . This ensures that the quality of the subjects taught will be of the highest standard.

To make sure that the students are well-prepared for the final exams, some subjects even require students to fulfil certain conditions, for example, having to accumulate enough points by completing assignments or quizzes in order to qualify for the examination registration.

Beside the academic demands, students are also expected to complete at least 12 weeks of internship, with at least 6 weeks for their basic industrial internship and at least 6 weeks for their advanced internship. Students can also choose to do their internship abroad, as long as the conditions of the internship fulfil the internship requirements as stated by the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.

What are the language requirements?

All courses are offered in English and applicants have to keep in mind they have to understand enough English to actively participate in the classroom.

  • If the applicant’s mother tongue is not English, please include a certified proof of the applicant’s English language proficiency can be in the form of TOEFL / IELTS / TOEIC.
  • Applicants must score at least:

TOEFL paper-based:570

  • There is no need for a certified proof of English proficiency if an applicant has been studying English as part of the official curriculum for the past consecutive five years.
  • An understanding of German is not a prerequisite for application to the degree program, although some German would definitely help when you are living in Germany.

What are the majors offered?

  • In the 6th semester, students choose a major to specialize in.
  • The current majors available are:
    1. Production Management
    2. Energy Management
    3. Rail Systems Technology

For more information on the different subjects for each major, please refer to the “Table of Course Curriculum“ that is available in the download section of CBS official website.

What is the pre-semester?

  • All successful applicants must attend the pre-semester, which usually starts at the beginning of August and ends in mid-October every year.
  • The pre-semester aims to bring all potential students to the level that is required to meet the high academic standards and demands of studying Mechanical Engineering here at Carl Benz School of Engineering at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT).
  • At the end of the pre-semester, there are exams in the following subjects: Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and English. The student must pass the exams with the expected GPA in order to officially enrol in the Mechanical Engineering program.
  • All classes in the pre-semester classes (Chemistry, Math, Physics and English) are held entirely in English.

Important reminderApplicants who have received the letter of admission must make sure that they have their visa application sorted out and can arrive in time for pre-semester.

What are the accommodations / facilities at CBS?

  • Carl Benz School (CBS) is housed in a 3-storey historical building which has been modernized. There are 120 single / double rooms that are equipped with a private bathroom, telephone and internet connection.
  • A study chair, table, bed and cupboard are provided. 4-6 students share the general living quarters comprising of a kitchen, dining area and a study/ social area. Students have also easy access to the self-service laundry automat.
  • The administration is also located in the same building, which means that students do not have to travel far in order to contact the CBS staff.
  • Within the building, there is also a library, an auditorium, seminar rooms, a music room, a bar / common room and a 24hr PC pool. For a bit of sports on rainy days there is even a table-tennis table available in the basement.

How do I apply?

I already have a first/ undergraduate degree.

  • Please apply normally like all the other applicants, with your university transcripts (instead of high school transcripts) and letters of recommendation from two lecturers/ tutors from your previous university.
  • If you have completed your first/ bachelor degree in a country with English as the official language, you do not need to provide proof of your English language proficiency.

I am currently a university student and want to join Carl Benz School. How do I apply and what about credit transfers?

  • Please apply normally like all the other applicants. Instead of high school transcripts, your university transcripts are needed. Letters of recommendation can either be from your high school teachers or university lecturers. The same deadline applies for all applicants for that particular year.
  • Carl Benz School does NOT process credit transfers. This means you must join the pre-semester (for more information see “WHAT IS THE PRE-SEMESTER FOR” in the “FOR SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS” FAQ), pass the end of pre-semester qualification exam successfully and join the bachelor program like the other students.
  • After you have been formally admitted to the Bachelor of Science program, you can start applying for credit transfers but there is no guarantee that your credits will be transferable.
  • A central committee in KIT, also known as VPK, processes credit transfer applications. The following documents will be required :
    1. university transcripts
    2. official detailed course descriptions from your previous university
  • If you want to transfer to KIT directly, please contact the KIT International Students Office (not part of Carl Benz School).

My official results are not out yet! Can I apply?

  • Official High School Graduation Results
    If they are not available yet, you can still apply by sending an
    official transcript of your latest/ predicted high school results.
  • Official Results of English Language Test
    If the results have not been announced yet, you can send your
    application first and then submit the official results no later by July
    in the same year.


What do I have to send to Carl Benz School?

  • Your application should include the following:
    1. Application form + photo
    2. High school transcripts
    3. Two letters of recommendation from high school teachers
    4. Cover letter
    5. Statement of purpose
    6. Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS/TOEIC)

For more information on application and the process, please
download the “Key Facts Sheet“ available in the information download.

What are the costs?

Are there scholarships?

  • Pre-semester* (Beginning of August ~ Mid October):
    3900€ including: Tuition fees, summer semester fees, accommodation, compulsory German national health insurance, study material, guided tour and excursion costs
  • Per semester (6 months):
    Fixed costs:        • 7000€ for tuition fees, books, lecture notes, language courses,
    internship-placement assistance, extra tutorial
    • 123€ (approximately) for university semester fees
    • 510€ (approximately) compulsory German national health insuranceVariable costs:    • Accommodation (depends on where one stays— between 1650€ and 2760€)
    • Transportation (estimated: 120€)
    • Food Expenses (estimated: 1400€)
    • Pocket Money (estimated: 900€)
  • Other costs: Travelling to and from Germany
  • At the moment, Carl Benz School does not offer full scholarships/ aid/ loans. After the first year of studies, merit-based partial scholarships might be available but it is advisable that applicants make sure they have enough personal financial resources to support the entire duration of their stay and studies here. Nevertheless there are Official Scholarship Funds.

*More information on pre-semester is available under “What is pre-semester“ in the FAQ section“For Successful Applicants“.

What documents do I have to send to Carl Benz School after receiving my letter of admission?

  1. “Confirmation of Acceptance“ form
    “Confirmation of Successful Early Admission and Application“ form
    (ONLY valid for early applications arriving before 15 April 2012 that
    fulfill the early application conditions as stated in the “Early
    Admission and Application“ policy.)
  2. “Financial Support Declaration“ form
  3. “Indication of Room Preference“ form
  4. “Visa Process Assistance Required“ form (if necessary)

To send the documents back to Carl Benz School, you can either:

  1. scan and fax (+49 (0)721 608 47882)
  2. scan and email ([email protected])

Please note the deadline(s) given on the form(s) wherever applicable.

What are the visa requirements to enter and stay as a student in Germany?

  • Applicants from EU and EFTA are free from the visa requirements.
  • As a general rule, all other nationals from other countries need a visa in order to stay and study as a student in Germany. Please be sure to contact the German embassy in your country when you are uncertain if you need a visa.
  • Important: Please find out the documents and duration required for your visa processing so that you can plan and arrive in Germany in time for your pre-semester.
  • You CANNOT join us with a tourist visa. DO NOT enter Germany with a tourist visa and expect that a student visa will be issued to you in Germany! Once you are in Germany, you will not be able to apply for a student visa!
  • Do not despair if the embassy informs you of a long application processing procedure that takes quite some time. You can download the “Visa Process Assistance Required ” form (available in the download section), fill it and email it to the student office immediately and Carl Benz School will try and help you in reducing the waiting time needed for your visa to be processed.

Note: In some countries, there is the need to open a blocked bank account as part of the student visa application. Please read “BLOCKED BANK

Blocked bank account: What is it?

  • Normally students from non EU-countries are required to open a blocked bank account and the embassy in your country may require you to open this account before issuing you a visa—please be sure to confirm this.
  • Such an account is required in order to prove that you have sufficient financial resources to support your studies and stay here in Germany.
  • At the time the website is updated, current requirements state that a requested total deposit of at least 7776€* (lasting for a whole year) must be in this account and the account holder can ONLY withdraw a maximum of 648€* per month from this account. This means you will have to estimate your cash needs and plan accordingly.

*Amount may vary from country to country. Please confirm with your bank.

How to open a blocked bank account?

  • Please note that Carl Benz School CANNOT help you to open the account.
  • It takes MORE than a week to open a blocked account and therefore you are advised to start applying for one immediately, in order you don´t delay your arrival for pre-semester.
  • The German embassy in your country might be able to give your more information regarding which banks to contact.

Not yet 18 years old upon arrival in Germany: EXTRA documents required for opening of bank account in Germany

Successful applicants who are not yet 18 years old upon their arrival in Germany should first clarify the opening of bank accounts before they leave their country of residence. Many German banks strictly require the signature of BOTH parents if a student under 18 wants to open a bank account here in Germany.

In other words, before you come to Germany, tell the German bank (which has provided the blocked bank account) that you are not yet 18 years old and require the relevant form(s) for opening an account here in Germany. Have BOTH parents to sign on the relevant form(s) provided by the German bank and with that document, you will be able to open a bank account in Germany.

The Carl Benz School CANNOT help you if you do not have the relevant forms with the necessary signatures from BOTH parents as required by the German bank.

For more information and details, please be sure to contact the German bank directly BEFORE you come to Germany.

What happens after arriving in Germany?

  1. Matriculation at the university
  2. Joining the German national health insurance
  3. Registration at the Karlsruhe Registry Office
  4. Opening of bank account
  5. Getting a German mobile phone number
  6. Renewing student visa at Foreigners’ Office
  7. (110€ to be paid there)
  • The Student Office does 1), 2) and 3) on behalf of new comers. Please submit the necessary documents when the student office sends you an email to ask for them.
  • It is important for all students to have a bank account here in Germany and therefore it is advisable to open an account as soon as 3) is completed.
  • A German mobile telephone number will be especially useful for foreign students who want to avoid international roaming fees and keep in touch with family and friends.

Reminder: Please inform the Student Office of any changes to your contact information, be it your address or mobile telephone number.

Does the program include an internship or work-placement scheme?

  • Yes, they are part of the program. The internship is divided into two parts: Grundpraktikum (basic industrial internship) and Fachpraktikum (advanced internship), each lasting for at least 6 weeks.
  • The itinerary for the internships is fairly dense. During the spring and summer breaks between the semesters, students are expected to successfully complete their internship, where they are introduced to classic metal working processes (milling, forging, welding, soldering) during their basic industrial internship and in the advanced internship, students gain practical experience as an engineer and apply the knowledge acquired in one’s studies in the industry.
  • Successful applicants can choose to complete their basic industrial internship in their home country.

Can I do my basic internship in my home country while waiting for my visa to be processed? What are the advantages and requirements?

  • Yes, it is a good idea to complete your basic industrial internship so that you have more time during the semester to focus on your studies.
  • You must approach a company yourself and request for a basic industrial internship that should be at least 6 weeks.
  • There should be a legal binding contract between you and the company, with the following clearly stated:
    1. the rights and duties of the intern
    2. the rights and duties of the company offering the internship
    3. the type and the duration of the internship
  • The training program offered by the company should include the activities listed in the official regulations* as set by the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
  • Please note that internship reports in the form of weekly summary must also be provided. For detailed information please refer to the official regulations*.

How do I get to Karlsruhe and Carl Benz School?

  • If you are landing in Frankfurt International Airport, there are high-speed trains that bring you to the Karlsruhe Main Train Station (Hauptbahnhof).
  • From the Karlsruhe Main Train Station, you can take one of the following trams:

Tram S1/ S11 (heading for Hochstetten)
Tram 2 (heading for Wolfartsweier)
Tram 3 (heading for Heide)
Tram 4 (heading for Waldstadt)
Tram S5 (heading for Wörth Dorschberg)
Tram S52 (heading for Germersheim Bf)
Tram 6 (heading for Rappenwört)

  • When you alight at the tram stop known as Herrenstraße, it is less than a 5-minute walk to Carl Benz School.
  • For students arriving for the first time in Karlsruhe during office hours, a representative from Carl Benz School would be able to meet you at the train station to show you how to get to Carl Benz School.
  • Please be sure to contact Carl Benz School in advance to confirm your date and time of arrival by filling in the “Arrival Confirmation” form (included in your admission package).

How accessible is Karlsruhe and Carl Benz School?

  • Karlsruhe*  is located in the state of Baden-Württemberg in south Germany and is a university city with a student population of more than 22,000.
  • The comprehensive tram and train network in Karlsruhe is a busy one, making it very convenient to travel to different parts of Germany and Europe. There are direct high-speed trains that connect the main train station to the Frankfurt International Airport.
  • Several tram lines link the Karlsruhe Main Train Station to the Herrenstraße tram stop, which is the tram stop closest to Carl Benz School.
  • Carl Benz School itself is a 5-minute walk from Kaiserstraße (King’s Road), the high street in Karlsruhe. This means a very central location, where university facilities, institutes, laboratories, libraries and offices are easily accessible on foot or by bicycle.
  • In addition, many shops and supermarkets are only a stone’s throw away, making shopping relative hassle-free.
  • The magnificent Schloss (palace) and huge Schlosspark (palace garden) are also right next to the Carl Benz School, and students have the possibility to engage in sports or just enjoy leisurely strolls.

*For more information to the city of Karlsruhe, please refer to the links provided on the Carl Benz School website.


Note: For any further clarification, Indian students aspiring to join CBS may contact the Counselor (Dr Rajendra Prasad : Ph 011-45630873, Email: [email protected])

Make me German

Uncover the mystery of the German success. Watch this documentary to see how ordinary German lives as explored by Justin and Bee did by doing quite a lot of analysis and actually living like Germans. The typical German is called Muller, the nation’s most frequent surname, and lives in a 1970′s apartment block… Sabina is the most used female name. Thomas Muller is the most common male name. Germans certainly get up very early, 20 minutes prior than the average Brit. With two preschool children the typical German wife would not go to work.

Watch the full documentary now – 60 min

WordPress Themes